University of Witwatersrand: better known as “Wits”, it is located in Johannesburg, the economic capital of South Africa and the most populated city of the country. It has names like Nelson Mandela in its alumni lists and sinks its roots in the mining past of the Witwatersrand region. It offers good options for students of social sciences, humanities and engineering, for example. Researchers who have worked with some of the oldest and most complete fossils on the planet belong to the area of archaeology and paleontology of this university.
Nelson MANDELA, after graduating from high school, starts studying at Fort Hare College to earn his Bachelor of Arts degree. There he is elected as a member of the Council of student representatives, he is expelled together with a colleague, for participating in a student strike. He moved to Johannesburg, where in 1941 he completed his high school correspondence in the Unisa. Then he studied law at the University of Witwatersrand, where he graduated, in 1942, as a lawyer.
Wits University is one of the main universities of the country and the continent. The prestige and reputation associated with Wits transcend through all its faculties and departments.
Login to the Wits Virtual Learning Centre to access online learning
- Enter the following Link of Wits Sakai login Remember that Wits Sakai is the elearning center.
- Enter your User ID and Password
Sakai is a set of software tools designed to help instructors, researchers, and students create websites for collaboration. Using a web browser, users choose from a set of features to create a site that meets their needs.
How do I access Wits-e?
- You need to have a valid Student number in order to access Wits-e. Go to http://cle.wits.ac.za to confirmthat your student number is working.
- If your username and password do not work you will need to contact the CNS Helpdesk
About WITS Language School
WITS Language School was established in 1997 and is part of the Faculty of Humanities of Witwatersrand University in Johannesburg. The school offers a wide range of courses and language services.
Due to the demand from public and private organizations, WITS Language School also offers internal corporate language courses that are designed around the specific needs of an organization. We also provide advice on language policies to organizations.
WITS Language School is proud of the quality of its highly qualified staff, its excellent service and the high level of its language courses based on solid research and academic principles. All language courses are taught by native speakers.
Universities in South Africa: an excellent choice for studying
More and more researchers decide to make a career abroad. South Africa, Africa’s most industrialized nation, can also presume to have the best universities in the continent according to the main international rankings.
You can request access to its interesting postgraduate programs, especially for doctoral students and Posdoctorandos. Thus, in South Africa there are researchers working on topics ranging from climate change to gender issues in African societies or on the reproduction of Lions.
- University of Cape Town (UCT): Located in this tourist city, where besides having at hand the beach and one of the seven Wonders of the natural world we find an effervescent urban and cultural life, it is the leading University of the continent and is between 200 Best in the world. It has leading programs in various scientific and humanities areas and international reference research institutes on issues such as AIDS or tuberculosis. There he was the Nobel Professor of literature J.M. Coetzee.
- University of Witwatersrand: better known as “Wits”, is located in Johannesburg, the economic capital of South Africa and the most populous city in the country. It has names like Nelson Mandela in its alumni lists and sinks its roots in the mining past of the Witwatersrand region. It offers good options for students of social sciences, humanities and engineering, for example. Researchers who have worked with some of the oldest and most complete fossils on the planet belong to the area of archaeology and paleontology of this university.
- University of Stellenbosch (SU): With its century of freshly fulfilled life, it is another of the oldest in South Africa and is ranked 405 in the world classification QS. It is located in the city of Stellenbosch, one of the capitals of South African wine, and is trilingual (English, German and Afrikaans). It offers good postgraduate options in areas such as research in biology.