The U.S. government and Safelink company offer cell phones and free minutes for qualifiers. This is the Lifeline service that was traditionally for land line and is combined with a free cell phone. Minutes are limited (250) and are government subsidies through the Lifeline program. Cell phones are a gift from the SafeLink company. If you qualify for the Lifeline program, you may qualify for your cell phone.
How to Qualify for Phone and Free Minutes
- Receive one of the Social Services, such as Medicaid, food stamps, federal or state government housing, free lunch at school, SSI.
- Your income is less than the state has. This requirement varies depending on the state where you live.
- Living in the United States
- Use the SafeLinkwireless company’s website to apply Safelink online.
- Request by phone by calling 1-800 SAFELINK or 1-800-378-1684
States that participate in Lifeline and use Safelink as a free cell phone provider
These are the states that participate with Safelink Wireless at the moment. Other states are online to participate with the company. If your status is not listed, visit the sites of other mobile companies participating in Lifeline, such as Assurance Wireless and ReachOut.
Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana
Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
fill out the online application so that you can opt, by a u.S. government phone, Apply Here to Request Phone or call these numbers 1-800 SAFELINK or 1800-977-3768 or 1-800-378-1684
What to Do If I Lose Safelink Phone
It is important if you lose your cell phone for free or if it breaks call the company immediately. This way no one else can use their minutes or charge new minutes to their mobile. When you report the phone as missing, the company usually suspends the account.
Safelink policy says you have the right to receive a free mobile if you lose yours, restored not new (only once). Lost phone minutes are also lost. But the replacement will have 10 minutes free for activation. If you lose your replacement cell phone, Safelink will NOT give you another one, you have to buy a new one.
U.S. Government Programs for Cell Phones
If you are in the United States and want to apply to the Where You Can Get a Free Phone program from the government, you’ll need to be aware of the information below. So you can successfully get free cell phone help.
Previous years the U.S. government, and Safelink, made a deal to help people who don’t have many resources, and need to have a phone, in order to be in family contact.
Among the agreements that came, the safelink company would give free simple phones to people who qualify for that help, where in addition to the free cell phone you will also get minutes and limited messages.
How to qualify for the free phone program in Usa
Here are the requirements you must have in order to apply to this benefit, if you meet all or the vast majority, you have the opportunity to receive a free mobile from the safelink company.
- Living in the United States
- Already receive any of the help services from the U.S. gum, such as food stamps, rent-paying aids, medicard, and any other aid program.
- Prove that your income, You must be below the patterns, It is important to mention that it depends on the states where you live.
SafeLink Wireless, has a special that gives 500 free minutes for the first three months for new customers and older customers who return after being not registered for 90 days. After 3 months, you will receive 250 minutes and 1,000 texts.
- New York, Florida and Texas receive unlimited texts, and the rest of the states receive 1,000 texts.
- After five months in New York, Florida and Texas they will receive 250 minutes and unlimited texts.
- All other states after 3 months receive the standard of 250 minutes and 1,000 texts.
Lifeline assistance and Linkup programs have helped low-income families and people who earn phone service since 1985. The availability of land lines and cellular service, helps disadvantaged people have access to all the benefits associated with being able to communicate with the outside world.
The program was originally designed to help low-income families with low-priced fixed network services, how to pay installation costs, and a discount on bills. Today, the program now offers cell phone service.
With Lifeline, you can call the doctor, employers contact, nursing and elderly dear schools and for children. Only those who qualify financially eligible for this program.
Free and discounted telephone services are available in the Hawaii and U.S. territories.
qualify for a SafeLink Wireless phone?
To qualify for a government-free mobile phone, you must be assisted by a public assistance program, or the income must be 135% or below national poverty standards. You will benefit from a free mobile phone if you are getting it.
- Section 8
- Work First
- SNAP Stamps/Food
- WIC (women and children)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Energy Assistance Low Income Home Program (LIHEAP)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)